BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Carbide won't run with air filter attached.....WTH! (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4935)

Dirtroad 04-13-2014 10:48 AM

Carbide won't run with air filter attached.....WTH!

I took my lightly modded carbide out for a spin and it won't get over 5mph. Once it gets to 5mph it just Boggs right down almost to a stall, it tries to rev back up but it just keeps going back down to a stall, but never stalls.

It was running fine a few days ago.

I took the carb out and thoroughly cleaned it, carbs don't get cleaner than mine at this point, I was very thorough.

Decided to check if my battery was getting charged. While at idle i. Only getting 13v max. I swapped the rectifier from my other carbide, no fix at all. Swapped CDI, no fix at all. Swapped the coil, no fix. Plug looks fine too.

I took the air box off the carb to so that I could rev it up and watch the gas spray in the carb. When I did this no bogging down at all, what?

When I put the air tube back on without filter it went right back to bogging, take it off no bogging again....WTH?

Swapped the velocity stack and uni from my other carbide, still bogged when revved, take it off no bogging when revved.....WTH?

I'm so lost, I don't know if I have a charging/ignition problem that it causing the bogging or what.

Stator maybe? What else is there?

Forgot to mention that when this all started the tach went crazy too. At idle it it would jump around from 50mph to 106mph. Also the miles started jumping around, it now says I have 0 miles on it.

2SlickNick 04-13-2014 11:03 AM

That is weird, try to get a video. For help in diagnosing this.

Masteryota 04-13-2014 11:56 AM

Start checking ground connections.

Dirtroad 04-13-2014 03:51 PM

Grounds are good

Dirtroad 04-13-2014 04:42 PM

Rechecked grounds and all connections, all looks good.

Dirtroad 04-13-2014 06:16 PM

I took the carb out again and dropped the pilot and main down a few sizes.

I also noticed that one of the choke screws was a bit lose, choke seemed to be in there securely though.

Which ever one of those i did fixed the problem. Dont know for sure since its raining but when in neutral i can rev it out and it dont bogg down no more. Couldnt do that before.

bear 04-13-2014 07:53 PM

Picky,picky!

I can relate to this! I went thru kinda the same thing on my red dazon, I just kept taking the carb apart thinking I had missed something. I come to find out my intake tube was worn out and collapsing just enough to affect flow, causing the carb to act up! :cussing:

Dirtroad 04-13-2014 08:22 PM

I just wish I could put some miles on my carbides without issues. It's getting ridiculous.

Miamieddie 04-14-2014 02:50 AM

Glad you got the mistery solved. :)

bear 04-14-2014 09:45 AM

Awe, its like I said before, for every day I spend riding I know I'm gonna spend 2 days on service and repair!!! just the nature of the "beast"!

351mustanger 04-14-2014 04:18 PM

If you have the stock air box, I have seen these buggies blow/suck oil into the air box from the breather on the valve cover. It clogs the air filter up and wont pick up rpm's.

Oops. Just re-read. Not stock box.

MASTERBATES 04-14-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 351mustanger (Post 40834)
If you have the stock air box, I have seen these buggies blow/suck oil into the air box from the breather on the valve cover. It clogs the air filter up and wont pick up rpm's.

Oops. Just re-read. Not stock box.

you are right about the oil to air box. on my trailmaster however they had the valve breather ran right in the side of the intake tube! it would just suck the oil straight to the carb at high rpms. i countered this with a homemade oil catch can derived from a pill bottle.

SYCARMS 04-16-2014 01:58 AM

Sounds like you had a clogged jet.