BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   ASW carbide CDI (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371)

KID4LIFE 12-11-2010 08:04 PM

ASW carbide CDI

does the carbide have rev limiter on the stock CDI? the buggy runs fine but seemd to top out and the rpms aren't that high.

SYCARMS 12-12-2010 12:46 AM

Yes they do.
Tom

wasjustlooking 12-12-2010 09:03 AM

Dave, the cdi is one of the first things I changed on my son's, it made a huge difference. Just remember it's a DC fired.

olderthan 12-12-2010 10:10 AM

dave from what i have heard it comes w/kiddie cdi lower rpm's change it out

SYCARMS 12-12-2010 10:50 AM

I have the DC with adjustable timming in stock. Hope to have them on my site soon, or call 662-301-1563 if interested.
Tom

swamp rat 01-29-2011 03:46 PM

What exactly does the 'adjustable' allow you to do?

SYCARMS 01-29-2011 06:10 PM

It allows for the adjustment of the spark timing.

Tom

BuggyMaster 01-30-2011 04:50 PM

With our helix, going with the non-rev-limit CDI gave us a consistent 2mph top end gain every time we have tested it.

joshstep1 02-01-2011 01:10 PM

When I changed my CDI to a no rev one, it didn't really make that big of a difference. Like buggymaster said above, about a mile or two per hour

SYCARMS 02-01-2011 01:44 PM

There is a differance between a no rev limit and an adjustable cdi. The adjustable allows for adjustment of about 4 degrees timming advance or retard. The no rev just removes the rev limit.You will notice minimal to no gain with the no rev cdi since you will now operate the engine above the power curve. There are many differant types of cdi's. No rev, no rev with fixed advance, no rev with adjustable advance, then all the above with increased megajewels. You can have 3 identicle looking cdi's but all will perform differantly. This is why I say you get what you pay fore. It makes it difficult for us to purchase a product blindly. This is why I and some other dealers go through the trouble to order one unit to check it out. If it performs good we stock it. Most e-bay power sellers have no idea what they have, all they know is what China tells them.China will dump a defective product on the market in a heart beat. Also there is not one mod which is a majic bullet. Several mods are what make the noticable power.

Tom

bige 02-01-2011 03:38 PM

Tom is correct, on the dc cdi I only have the adjustable one because it really gives better performance than others. if you only knew how much money we dump into r&d

Lxtlover11 06-01-2011 08:17 PM

How do you remove the rev limiter on it?

metalstudman1 06-01-2011 08:22 PM

You can't remove it from your unit. You have to buy one with no rev limit or get an adjustable style.

Lxtlover11 06-01-2011 09:02 PM

Ohhh ok I just was curios about what you gain, will it hurt the motor, and is it expensive?

metalstudman1 06-01-2011 09:32 PM

Usually won't hurt the motor, The gains are small- but small changes in several areas can add up to lots of overall performance. The factory always sets the rev limit low to ensure long life & meet EPA requirements. Different makers of CDI's have different specifications and vary quite a bit on spark advancement and total rpm's that can be achieved.

SYCARMS 06-02-2011 12:14 AM

Stock CDI limits are anywhere from 7800 to 8000 rpm. An aftermarket can be of 9000 to no limit at all. The rev limit will not factor in on a stock or lightly modified engine since the power curve is around 7000 t0 7800. Above this no power is produced, unless the engine is modified mainly in the head and camshaft. If your engine is modified moving the power curve up the scale then a higher rev limit or no rev limit will be desired. But your not likely to make any power much over 9000 rpm and this will be with a heavily modified motor. The cdi has 3 main functions 1) controls timming advancment of the spark, 2) controls duration of the spark, and 3) controls the rev limit if so equiped. The main thing to look for in a cdi is the advance curve and the duration of spark for the idea is to burn the most fuel at the proper time which produces power. An average non computerized engine will only burn 80% of the fuel due to several factors, this creates hydrocarbons. EPA limits these hydrocarbons by running lean mixtures. Also stock engines naturaly asperated (carburated) will only fill about 60% of cylinder capacity, about 70% with a turbo and 95-100% with a super charger. The object is to pull as much fuel and air in the cylinder and burn as much as possible. This is what creates power. There is not any one part that will make a huge differance, it is a combination of things needed to be done to make noticable power, and this will depend entirely on your budget.

TOM