View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Lurker

Picked up the sled. She runs good! Needs some plugs and some going over, some leaks here and there, but nothing too bad. Clutch on the engine works, and the sled actually moves ok. The entire engine and clutch setup is a bit bigger than I had imagined, but it will fit just fine.

I'm still uncertain of the rear end/drivetrain. I can get a rear diff with limited slip from a early 90's Mitsu talon/eclipse for 25 bucks from a buddy..These diff's used a viscous coupling limited slip unit, but allows slip in turns. I'd have to source some halfshafts and shorten them(not a big deal there). The cool thing with these axles is the outer CV joints are bolt on cup style. I could make an adapter plate/hub to connect to lets say a 1" or 1.25" standard keyed axle shaft, then just use standard 4 on 4 hubs. The drawbacks would be size and weight of the diff(they are pretty heavy and bulky), and unsure if the diff's gear ratio would work out-supposed to be 3.54:1.

I'm still leaning to doing a dual swing arm setup and just see how it works out without any differential action. Tight turns will really work the chains, but good sized chain and good drive geometry may work out. If not, then I can always go back to the drawing board..after all, it can always be changed.

-340cc Yamaha 2-stroke buggy in the works!