Thread: Short Belt Life
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

There is no adjustment of the pulleys. This is how the system should work. At rest the belt should be at bottom of variator pulley, and level to about 1/8" below top of clutch pulley. As the engine reves the rollers are forced centrifically up the variator ramp therefore causing tension to be applied to the clutch pulley which compresses at a controlled rate the torque spring forcing the belt down on the pulley. The variator roller ramp will move the belt outward up the pulley, since the outer pulley half is fixed as the belt tension increases the outer clutch pulley half moves outward as the belt moves down the pulley. The belt should stay in alignment. If not you would have a timming issue with the pulleys to where the torque spring is not in sink with the rollers so that one pulley is moving ahead of the other. This will cause belt slippage creating heat which weakens the belt. It is possible that your torque spring is either weak or broken, or too lite of roller is being used with stock torque spring. Since one can be considered the right hand and the other the left hand the rollers and torque spring should always be changed as a set. Since you posted earlier that you have 13gr. rollers but only made mention of torque spring measurements I can only assume that you are still running the stock torque spring. With lighter rollers and a weak stock spring this could very well throw the alignment off. You will also need to remove torque spring and inspect the clutch pulley halves for free movement as well as inspection of the needle bearings in the clutch pulley. Hope I didn't confuse things and this helps you in determining your problem. If I can be of further help please feel free to give me a call or e-mail.

TOM