View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Contributor

Default Iowa rebuild of 3206/spiderbox

About a month ago I received the daily Harbor Freight email and they had 6.5 HP motors for $70. I bought two. One for a walk behind brush hog and another for a kart project. The original plan was to build a buggy from the ground up.

So I've been lurking around for a couple weeks trying to figure out what I wanted to build and how I wanted to build it. During my daily peruse through Craig's List looking for parts I stumbled across this YD 3206. The current owner took it in trade for a parts truck and never did anything with it. The prior owner to him (Evel Knievel) attempted to jump a terrace and snapped the front steering/suspension assembly off the frame. From that day it just sat waiting to be fixed.

So the plan is to;

1) Reattach the front assembly. This will include adding some additional bracing.

2) Clean and Tune the motor. Fresh Spark Plug, fluids, high flow intake, carb adjustments and possibly new exhaust. Plan to get the motor running good in the stock configuration before I do to many adjustments.

3) Add some lighting. It originally came with lights but currently just has the wiring.

4) Tires. Currently missing 1 front. Considering replacing the rears with a slightly bigger and more aggressive tread. I'm also planning on going to a front hub and moving to a larger front tire. Stock tire sizes are 20x10-8 for the rear and 15x6-6 for the front. Thinking about going to 22X11-8 in the rear and still undecided for the front. BMI looks like they have some good deals going on.

Let me know what you think. Also looking for any additional recommended websites for all things kart related. If you happened to have one of these and have a list of must do upgrades let me hear them.

Now time for the pics. Day 1 just unloaded it...