View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

IMO You're on the right track-get the 3/4" ones. Most ATV trails limit a buggy to 60" or 5', the overall width of our Spiderbox is 58" with the wider rear axle, the front is only 51" wide.
Process I used for making longer front axles:
I cut off the original axle-re-drilled a 3/4" hole all the way through the rectangle tube. Cut the hex head off a 7"x 3/4" grade 8 bolt, flushed it on the inside and welded it on both sides of the tube, then got a piece of pipe (the sleeve) 3/4" I.D.x 5/16" pipe cut it 2-1/4" long slid it over the bolt and welded that to the rectangle tube & bolt. Dressed up the weld where the bearing would sit square against the sleeve and installed the hub.
If you were to make a hub it's pretty simple too-Got 4 , 3/4" bearings - small pipe in a big pipe,on the 2" long bigger pipe I drilled four 1/2" holes through the center ("X" pattern), slid 1"long small pipe into the center of it and welded it in place from the the "X" pattern holes. Cut a 5" circle from a piece of 3/8" plate drilled bolt pattern and the center hole to fit over bigger pipe,squared it up & welded it over the 4 holes previously welded -I welded bolts through the bolt pattern for lug studs- but you can tap or weld a nut on the plate if you prefer using bolts for your wheels.I think I spent about 5hrs. and $20. to make them.
Did any of that make sense?