View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Power User

Default Kawa-buggy --- driveline concept

OK, so dummy me overlooked one critical item, my engine is clockwise rotation--glad i didn't start cutting up the yerf!

Edited to read: Dummy me had a false alarm, rotates CCW, all is well!

So, at this stage I have an engine some front suspension bits, fenders, rims/hubs and about a billion ideas swirling around.

Right now, I'm looking for ideas for a transmission. The engine is rated at 27 hp, 41 ft.lbs of torque at about 3600 rpm. the hp curve is nice and progressive, seems to really be a good range mid rpm engine, broad flat torque curve that starts well down low.

I don't mind having a manual transmission, anywhere from 3 to 5 speed- with reverse The more gears, the less load the engine will be subjected to. It still has its original rings & bearings. It didn't smoke, bores aren't scratched up and still shows the factory honing. It doesn't have a governor any longer, but i'm likely going to buy a tiny tach and make sure when i do the initial test run that I get the carb dialed in right around 3600 max so I don't find out where its failure rpm is.

The output shaft is 1-1/8 OD with 1/4-in. keyway, protrudes 3-3/4 inches from the case.

Looking for transmission suggestions and any other commentary on this project is welcome. This one has got to be a total low to no budget creation.

Last edited by x-bird; 11-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.