Thread: today's repair
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Power User

Sorry if I confused you loco, I didn't give enough info and follow through. I have a saying, some things are simple, but not easy, and some are easy, but not simple. This is one of the latter.

I've attached a picture. What this method does is allow you to set the driver and driven dead on square to one another. The picture shows it with only the driven pulley outer removed, but doing it with both off is the best way.

A.Square the two pulleys. There is a slight concavity to them, so look down from the top and make sure that any gaps you see between the straight edge and the pulley's outer edges are equal. (as you can see in the picture, mine is not squared at the moment.)

B. Use permanent marker or a scribe and mark the edge of the jackshaft plate on the frame's mounting plate and mark the engine's edge on the jackshaft plate.

C.Reassemble the pulleys, install the belt, set it to proper tension, then verify your alignment marks and tighten it all up.

Hope this helps clarify things. Once you get the alignment marks in place, you should be able to use them at any time to realign things if you take it all apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulley check.jpg (32.6 KB, 11 views)