View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry you gentlemen are having troubles- It's just a bolt-on option! I had to grind a wrench down to fit the neck on the ball joints to be able to tighen them. I over torqued one and that's why it broke. I always had to check them and tighten them up on a regular basis. They are an improvement over the stock ones. I don't believe it makes any difference which way they point !!!The ball joint is just crimped around the ball and they will spin sooner or later. They get loose/sloppy very quickly even when lubed regularly but I can verify they don't break/come apart at the ball joint portion even after a lot of heavy abuse which is what you're after to avoid complete loss of steering. I wasn't impressed with the claims or performance on the HD axle either- but it was an improvement over the stock ones again. Buy a box of washers to go behind the hub to get your wheels out closer to the end of the spindle.
Who'd have thought the Spiderbox chassis would have gotten the following that they've received- If it didn't require so much capital I'd fabricate solutions and make jigs for these buggies as I'm addicted to them too! I hope soon I'll have the money to complete our Spiderbox front suspension make-over again with fresh ideas to see if I can resolve all the known issues.The Heim solution addresses the spindle/ball joint portion only, The tube on the A-arm at the bulkhead is still an issue for me even with the grease zerks. Our love for these things is what brings us closer to a resolution and with the diversity of individuals and they're ideas.
shootispd27- your priorities might be getting a little tilted!!!!But I'm right there with you!!!