View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootistpd27 View Post
I got the carb installed but I cannot adjust the air screw. It doesn't have a cap over it, it just looks like a flat circle with about an 8th of it taken away. It has got to be needing some tool other than a phillips head. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! It idles now so beautifully and it runs good except for when I give it full throttle. Its almost what the old one was doing.
sounds like you got one of those EPA carbs. They design them so you can't fiddle with it, upsetting the air police but you can usually get by with not changing the factory air screw setting if the carb is jetted right. The air setting might not be spot on but close enough to be acceptable
The full throttle problem may be a main jet issue. Those carbs come jetted way too lean for the buggys. With a stock air box and unaltered exhaust you need around a 114 main jet. With air up grade{uni} you jump to a 125 or larger if you got a gutted exhaust.
Increase your fuel line size and use a large volume fuel filter. You can suck a carb dry at full throttle without a 5/16 or larger fuel supply line, definitely if you go above a 114 in jet size. The correct jet and fuel supply should take care of full throttle IF the problem is with the carb.
If not, look for a faulty electrical connection. particularly grounding points, this can give the same sort of higher rpm symptoms.