View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Lurker

Default New info but still not running

Spent some time on it today. I have a service manual for a baja crossfire 150, mine is the reaction. I am pretty sure the engines are the same or close enough.

NOTE: this carb does not sit horizontal, it angles backwards. The air intake is lower than the butterfly and intake manifold. See notes on float below.

I thoroughly verified all wiring was correct. Started some electrical checks. I am very suspect of the fuel air mix.

Deni pd24j carb
Pilot jet 35
Hi speed jet 77?? It looked like an 11, 17, or 77, couldn't tell

-Choke FEV is good. 11mm with power and 14 mm 5 minutes later. Book says this is proper.
-Coil reads .6 ohms. Book says 0-1 is good.
-Plug is new. I don't suspect the plug b/c I have good spark and it idles pretty good at first.
-Haven't checked valves yet.
- the diaphragm mentioned previously (side of carb) looked much better when I pulled it. I must have gotten carb cleaner on it last time causing the deformed look. It was nice and round this time. I am no longer suspecting this as a culprit.

I pulled the carb again today, cleaned again, checked everything. I adjusted the float again away from the way the crossfire manual shows to a little more diagonal, thinking maybe there is not enough fuel in the bowl to do anything more than idle. It seemed a little better. I was able to nurse it gently above idle to the point where the clutch was starting to engage.

With the air box off, I can see a backfire in the carb. This occurs occasionally when idling and when I apply accelerator (opening the butterfly.) i assume a float height can cause this (too high). Could this also indicate an intake valve not seating?

I have a new plasma cutter. If I don't get this fixed soon, I may have some fun cutting this thing into pieces.

Last edited by nacra533; 01-29-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: diaphragm