View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Kinroad Lights System

Situation:

I have the two front lights removed from this buggy; the bulbs 'appear' visually to be bad, and I could get neither of them to function by wiring direct to the light assembly wiring plugs from a 12V battery.

I get no voltage with a 12V test light at the wiring harness on the buggy with the engine not running - light switch on or off. However, with the engine running, I get a 12V response from the light harness plugs with the light switch both on and off [?].

The bulbs in the front light housings are unlike any I have ever seen; I cannot readily/easily pull them out. It looks like they are integral to a round, metal disk that is bolted to the assembly.

I removed and tested the rear light bulb with a 12V battery and it lights up brightly. It looks very similar to a brake/back up light bulb in GM vehicles. I will test it on the vehicle with the engine running later today.

Questions:

Are light bulbs for these front lights available at auto parts outlets?
Shouldn't the light switch stop the front lights harness plugs from getting voltage when it is in the off position, engine running?
How can I test the stop light switch on the master cylinder to see if it is functioning?
If the brake light doesn't work when tested, where do I start testing for voltage - at the master cylinder switch, or at the brake light end of the circuit?

Summary:

Front light bulbs don't work. I do get 12V at the light harness plugs on the buggy, only with the engine running, regardless of where the light switch is set.

The horn doesn't work either; but, if they can't see me coming in the dark, they probably couldn't hear me either.

I'll never drive the buggy at night, so lights are not a necessity for me.

Since I have no place to ride it anyway, I'll let the next owner inherit the lights situation.

Thanks for any comments; I have read everything in the forum about lights and lighting systems, but it is mostly way over my head regarding stators, AC/DC, 6 - 8 - 11 poles, engine running vs not running, etc.