View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Lite Contributor

metalstudman1, GX150 and x-bird: I really appreciate your patience and willingness to help me.

By double checking my two voltmeters and trying both of them, I am able to get a voltage reading at the two headlight buggy harness plugs with the engine running. They only reads from 8.48 to 8.51 volts, with both meters. I tried to temporarily hook up one of the new bulbs to the harness but got no lighting results, maybe due to the lower voltage there? The new bulb is bright when hooked directly to the buggy battery.

I removed all the tie wraps holding the black box together and to the frame members. There is a 10 amp inline fuse/holder in there, with small red wires going in and out. The fuse is good; with it removed, nothing happens when I turn on the ignition switch; with it installed, the engine starts and runs normally.

When I cranked the engine to check that fuse, I soon noticed that the corner of the base of the black box (where it had at one time been welded to the frame) was vibrating against the side of the engine case, and sparking when it touched that case. With my jury rigged attaching system, i.e. tie wraps, should that metal base of the box be connected to the frame? The engine ran normally, and I noticed no effects when that sparking occurred. I also found when doing all this, that the ground cable connection at the battery was loose. I tightened it and cranked the engine again, but have not gone back yet to re-check the voltage elsewhere.

How do I verify my ground wires? Use a resistance setting? Where to where?

Isn't this fun? Thanks again gentlemen for your help.