View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosser View Post

My question is how do you compare these. Is a 6.5 (169cc) Robin engine comparable in power and performance to a 150cc GY6 (rated at 8 hp)? Is a 9 hp Robin (265cc) really in the same class as a 250cc buggy?

I feel like I am comparing apples and oranges. Can someone please fill me in on this. Thank you for any help.

X-bird covered the bulk of it-
First off- The Robin 9 hp isn't in the same class as a 250cc buggy engine.
Wheel speed is the major difference with more RPM's. The next major difference is how you're getting the HP to the axle- Lawn mower style engines use a friction/centrifugal clutch via a chain or CVT that uses a clutch & driven unit via belt to chain with all the components exposed to the elements. The CVT on a GY6 uses a variator & clutch via belt internally to chain and not exposed to the elements.
These differences are apples to oranges as well and make a critical difference in how the HP is best used and maintained.
The next significant difference is that most lawnmower style engines DON'T have alternators, electric start or reverse. The other style will always have both alternator & electric starter and possibly a kick start too. Both types require about the same engine maintenance (oil change, gear oil). The lawn mower style with a CVT will require regular cleaning & dry lube about every 20 hrs. Hope this explains it a little more where you can make an educated decision.