View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Lurker

Default Manco Scorpion - drive issue with chain/sprocket

Hey everyone, I picked up a Manco Scorpion 606 from a buddy the other day and finding that it needs more work that mentioned. It needs a new belt, which I was already aware of, but I was able to get some motion out of the current belt the other day and the go-kart just jerked around as it has a hard time going forward (belt was also slipping).

I jacked up the rear suspension to get the rear tires off the ground and tried rotating the drive by hand. There seems to be a mis-alignment with the small and large sprockets. When I rotate the drive in a forward motion by hand, you can watch the chain have a hard time setting itself on the teeth of the front large sprocket. The chain also slightly rubs on the edge of the driven pulley (you can hear it in the video below), but that may be due to it not rotating fast enough by hand to keep tension on the chain.

I'm very mechanically inclined but I've never played with a CVT drive like this and without tearing down the driven shaft and the rear axle to look for the issue I'm not sure what might be causing this mis-alignment and what it might take to fix it.

Here is a video of the sounds it is making as I rotate the rear axle. I originally shot this in HD with my phone, but I had to rotate the video in YouTube so now it looks like crap, but hopefully this might be enough to give you the idea of what is happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlPV9ElH6EM

Thanks,

Andrew