View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
On the driven the sheaves are closed/close together when idle and open up with power.The clutch is open when idle and close up when power is applied. I don't know of any place that sells just one sheave/pulley half.
Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty that was the case, but I guess I was still calling the driven assembly a "clutch" but I guess that's not necessarily accurate haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
if it's been run while bent, i wouldn't trust the other half anyway. I have no idea how much use my 7-inch dia driven saw with it's previus owner, but it started chewing up belts. turns out the rivets were loosening up and it had cracks radiating out from all of them, both sides. Play it safe--you're better off just replacing the entire driven. If you've ever seen a torn grinding disc chunk fly off a grinder, imagine that occurring with a piece of jagged steel.
Yeah looks like lots of things were neglected for some time on this go-kart, so I'll do like you said and just get a new driven assembly. The darn brake pedal won't return when you press it down, and the spring is in place at the pedal. Stuck my hand near the caliper to feel for any problems and the darn thing feels loose as heck. Appears to have an oil leak somewhere between the engine and the steel plate that is used to separate the engine from the CVT system. Throttle pedal didn't return when pressed down, so I replaced a spring and it works better but something still seems wrong there too with the throttle operation at the engine side of things. I'll tackle that once I read more about the engine linkages.