View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Lurker

Default Yerf Dog 3002 torque converter help

Hello buggy master users! I am new to this site and am learning as i go.
So last summer (2011) i bought a used model 3002 Yerf Dog (as far as i can tell, it may be a 30033, but im pretty sure its a 3002) completely stock (also, as far as i can tell) anyway, when I bought this kart it was SLOW!! about 15 m.p.h. tops, every once in awhile it would "take off". so first i thought it was the carb (this has a 6hp techumseh power sport) so i bought a carb rebuild kit and installed it and have since had a few problems with the carb, my engine doesnt want to idle, ive messed with the idle screw and it will either stall if i turn it a little to the left to lower the idle, or if i turn it to the right to make the idle higher, it'll rev up enough to engage the torque converter, so i'm still not sure about that. After doing the carb rebuild it still wasnt very fast and would still "take off" every once in awhile. I finally realized it was the torque converter causing me all these problems. After doing some research on it i found out it was a Comet 30 series torque converter. After doing MORE research i found out about how to clean these things. So i took it all apart and cleaned out the driver and driven unit, put it all back together worked great for about 15min. then it was having "jerky" engagement and sometimes get stuck in "overdrive" and stall the engine, it would also not go fully into overdrive, and sometimes it wouldn't engage at all, even if the engine is fully revved. (this was about a month ago). Since then ive taken the driver unit apart about every weekend completely take it apart and cleaned it and get the same results!!!! So MORE research i found out that you have to make sure these units are aligned, so i checked it out on my kart, and they ARE aligned. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this system to work consistently, i dont know what else to do, besides buying a new torque converter set up (which i really dont want to so, since they are about $200 new). ANY IDEAS??? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!