View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Power User

Welded up the swingarm and axle mounts on the bench the other day and with the swingarm mounted and the rear end on jackstands, it was an easy install. Was quite to see all 10 mount bolts drop straight into their holes on the axle plates. That was this (yesterday) morning.

As expected, setting up the brakes on the new rear end was the not-so-high-light of my day. Spent the rest of the day trying a couple ways of getting them to work. The polaris trailboss donated its front drum brake cable and balancer box.

Initially tried linking them up to the yerf-style master and brake rod pivot, but the balancer wouldn't reach, and bending the mount plate made the pedal motion flex most of the brackets and linkages without actuating the levers. So i chopped my throttle cable routing tab out of the way and screwed the balancer to the frame.

After wasting a couple more hours with various brackets, braces and plate extensions/connections, i gave up and cut it all off, then took the girls out for dinner and firefly catching .... aka couple hours to think about brake cables, pivot points etc ...

Ended up with a working solution, got rid of the rod and ran the polaris cable to the 3203 brake cable which got moved to the brake pedal. I had to use the polaris's transmission brake cable, which i made sure to cut extra long ... only to realize several hours later i could've taken it straight to the pedal if i had only cut it 4 inches longer

so the brakes finally grab decently, one cable/housing still needs cleaned and the polaris brake arms that are hooked to the drum brake levers still need some tweaking.

Also, the "oddball" atv rear i brought home with the rest of the pile is a kawasaki. too narrow to use, also is shaft drive. however it's shock springs are the same diameter and height as my polaris pink ones, so i popped one off to test the rate and they're slightly stiffer and progressive. so those got cleaned up and are going on it.

Biggest issues i face once i finish the details is that this thing weighs a TON --not sure the lil ol carter is going to have much life left .... and it's going to have way more oversteer. I may throw a set of the stock tires on GC rims and save the monster meats for the winter (snow) and wet/muddy days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum1.jpg (25.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg drum2.jpg (26.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg drum3.jpg (28.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg drum4.jpg (37.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg drum5.jpg (21.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg drum6.jpg (43.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg drum7.jpg (40.3 KB, 32 views)