View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Power User

Default Suspension free for all

Rather than comment in Fcracker's thread why don't we all have a good ol debate about suspension designs in it's own thread?

Roy's questioning the "equal lengthers" got me to thinking about this topic, as it's one i've studied copiously not only since I got into buggies, but also through all of my years involved with cars, magazines and racing, even my mountain bikes.

Primary comments I'll make are just a couple.
A. -- One must always remember that suspension design ALWAYS involves a compromise.
B. -- There is no one design that's right over all others.
C. -- suspension design should be based on the intended riding usage/type.

Personally, I enjoy all schools of thought and approach. I went with an equal length arm design that allows me to alter the upper arm's length and the distance between the arms at the hub end (thus making them even more unequal if desired) for the very reasons that were brought up. When building mine, I took my ideas to a person responsible for suspension design at the uppermost racing levels -- his comments regarding my intent to keep everything parallel and equal length were basically that it was a non-issue worry-wise given my desire to have little camber change and bump steer over very rough and rocky terrain. (my far end of the scale use isn't rock crawling per-se, but darn near as you'll want to get to it in a buggy and the setup doesn't impact everyday moderate riding enough to bother me) He basically indicated that i'd have a successful design as long as I left an "out" to work in some adjustibility at a later time if i wished. (heims and spindle mount spacers.) Anyway, that's my "why I built what I built" statement.