Thread: stroker crank
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Contributor

Default stroker crank

I found the noise from my wife's blue dune 150. I split the case and removed the crank after removing the gear behind the variator. I had to use a jaw puller with a bolt through the puller arms to get that stubborn gear off. Other than that it came apart easy. I have yet to buy the starter clutch socket for assembly, I used a flat punch and a hammer to remove the reverse thread nut. I can hear the scraping noise/rattle that at idle would cycle every 2 seconds and get faster with rpm. Our last trip to the desert in april 2012 I had just installed a 58.5 srp high compression piston kit. The compression was 125psi stock and after the kit install the compression was 145psi. After messing with jetting I found that 125jet was too rich no power,122 felt better but plug still very dark, 120 power was good and plug came out tan at wot run. The buggy ran awesome until the last day of our trip and I was running the buggy full throttle for a long time. I think the 20psi increase of compression on the 3 year old motor and me riding it like I stole it did it in. Now to my question is a 2mm stroker crank worth the extra money and the timing chain problem I have run into. I bought a 1.6mm spacer and with 2 base gaskets, the base gaskets are .5mm thick so 2.6 mm space total. Now the chain is not long enough, I bought a 92 link chain and you would need to space it 6mm to work. I have not bought a crank yet. I did buy the ncy bore up tool and planning a 62mm piston kit for sure. I have heard of cutting the piston down and notching the valve reliefs, but that makes the piston thin and can get hot spots. Now if I use the 1.6mm spacer and one .5mm gasket and honda bond the spacer to the block the chain is okay. But now the problem is the head is .5mm closer and the compression will be to high. I am about to just put a stock crank in and port the head a little more and add a a 12 cam. So 62mmx62mmx57.8mmx0.7854=174.5 cc. Any body got any good results with stroker cranks. I also worry about piston side loading at high rpm with stroker cranks. We ride alot of wide open throttle in the desert and am not sure if a stroker crank is good for this type of riding. I am making myself a little nuts playing all the possible combos. I cant leave it stock because I have got gy6 buggy fever. Any suggestions?