View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Power User

The field i've been riding in lately is flood plain drainage, lots of t-storms this week, so i got a surprise bath going through the ditch yesterday. Decided to do some vid of mudding it up but sadly the camera angle (helmet mount) shows a lovely view of the roll cage front top bars .... may try again later today on break.

Finally discovered my "clanging" rear end culprit. the bottom rack stubs are hitting the top of the swingarm frame, hit hard enough yesterday to leave some marks on it. I'm now pretty sure both sets of springs i have are too soft. frame contacts before the shock bottoms out. the kawasaki springs might be passable, i need to open up the shocks and try putting more pressure in them to see what happens. As it stands with them, i get pogo stick spring return with continued choppy bouncing for several cycles after the initial bump impact. i think they need more air pressure and the rebound damping slowed big time. only problem i have with that at the moment is the shocks have the ball/needle type gas/air inlet and not schraeder valves.

gave her a bath and now i have one really rusty swingarm! good excuse for teardown and paint.