View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Lurker

Default New to buggy world

Long story how this happened but I was looking for a project and found a guy wanting to get rid of 2 non running buggies. We agreed to swap the 2 buggies and an interarms .38 special for a $425 treadmill. Seeing how the gun is worth 200-250 I am into these things for $200-225. Here goes.

First is a Baja motorsports Raider mini 90cc. Guy bought it new and when it stopped running he decided he was going to fix it. Being an idiot, he took a part off, didnt know what to do and parked it. Turns out he took off the generator cover and undid some wires. Buggy has been out in the sun for a while so it is not perfect. Hooked a car battery to it. Wiring all intact. Ignition works (came with a key) but no power past the starter relay. Ordered the part and will go from there. The generator may be shot after sitting out in the open for so long. I dont want to order it though if the engine wont run. Question: Engine should start and run with this cover off correct? Only thing under it is the generator and a chain assembly that I assume runs dry. If the chain had grease on it, the grease would get onto the generator under normal conditions.

Second buggy is a 150cc. He bought this used from a guy who said it need ignition rewired. Luckily he never touched this one as nothing was taken apart. Seems all there. Sun baked also, seats chewed up by his dog. Hooked battery up, power to the ignition but not from the ignition to the electrical box. Decided to order some parts: ignition with key (I didnt get one with this), cdi box/starter relay/ignition coil combo. It was cheap, and since it was out in the open figured might as well change them. Throttle cable missing, reverse cable missing. Ordered both from the bay. Have about $90 in parts coming.

questions: the second buggy is unknown model. There is no data plate anywhere that I can find, and as the seats are chewed up it isnt hard to look under them. I found a faded sticker that says roketa on it and the parts match the GY6 parts I found on ebay. I know ebay parts are hit and miss from china but I dont want to sink a ton in until I know they can at least turn over. The little buggy engine is not stuck. The big looks to be in decent shape. It had bad gas in the tank but not to old as it smelled like old gas and not turpentine. There was oil in it although it was a bit low. I am attaching a picture to see if anyone can identify.

Final thoughts. Ill try and update this thread as I move along. Likely a winter project for me as I am in school doing clinical rotations for the next 13 months (physician assistant). Think I made out ok in this deal or did I give up to much? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-20 10.21.17 (165x220).jpg (69.8 KB, 41 views)