Thread: Gas?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I've got a station just down the road from me that sales pure 104, how would that work?
In this case, more is not better. You will pay through the nose for race fuel these days, and it will do nothing unless you are running some crazy custom ground cam that requires alot of ignition advance, or running over 12:1 compression. It would just be a waste of money to run it.

Xlint said it best, high octane=slower burn. Race fuel through a normal engine will not be able to burn that fuel completely.

As far as ethanol is concerned, its bad, all bad. It rots away gaskets, o-rings, and seals. The worst part of ethanol, is that it hygroscopic, meaning it will attract all moisture to itself, and we all know what happens when water mixes with gas. There are alternatives, one, as trailrider mentioned, is additives, like stabil, or startron, both are available at small engine shops and auto parts stores.

I have had issues with my outboard and running ethanol blended fuel, but that is an older 2 stroke, and its a touchy biatch all in its own. In the south, most Gate gas stations are carrying 89 octane ethanol free for the boating crowd and landscapers alike, and that's all I run in my small engines, but yes, it is a bit more expensive.