View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Lite Contributor

Default What gauge wire and size fuse for headlights

Breakhard here, still working on my Fox Helix 150 with the GY6 motor. It appears that it has aftermarket headlights that were wired direct to the battery. The headlights are two 6" round 12v 35w each mounted on the outside of the front roll bar. There is a third rectangular shaped light mounted on the front plate where the Fox emblem was (before the previous owner spray painted over it) I don't know anything more. other than it must be 12v.

The original wiring, before I removed it went like this....from the positive side of the battery ran a 12 gauge wire 8-10" long with an inline 7.5 amp fuse. Spliced to that is a length of 10 gauge wire that runs along side the throttle and brake cables. Then spliced in is another length of 12 gauge wire going to a single pole off/on switch. From the switch is a ??? gauge wire spiced to the three headlights....with duct tape!!!! The switch was taped to the frame of the go kart . No tail lights. The two 6" lights were single wire, so the frame must have been used for the ground. The rectangular light has two wires, one going to a screw into the frame for it's ground the other to the wire coming off the swithc.

I'm replacing the headlights with similar ones and plan on using the frame for the ground. Then replacing the wire from the battery with one continues length and also replacing the switch with a waterproof one.

What gauge wire, from the battery should be used....and should all three headlights run off the same wire and same switch or should each light be run separately.....and, if so what size wire would you use. What size fuse should be used?? The battery is new, so what will running the headlights do to it?

As always, thanks for your time and advice. Breakhard!!!!