Thread: Oil Cooler
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Oil Cooler

I like the way this group seems to get on the same page at the same time. With the big bore’s going on there’s been some discussion on oil cooling. I too have been working on the oil cooling system for my “first glimpse” project. I thought I would share my concept on how I am going to accomplish this.
I never liked the idea of those add-on kits that replace the screen cap on the bottom of the motor. The idea of hoses running underneath exposed seemed like disaster if they should ever get snagged on a root or whatever.
I do like the idea of the hoses connected into the front base of the case. I’ve seen a few gy6’s in atv’s that had this type of hook up and it seemed a little more trail friendly .
So I got a center case and took a hard look to figure how to do this. Oill travels from the pump to the front of the case at the driver side, crosses over to the passenger side then travel up , splits to feed the main bearing and the head. I first machined the surface of the case flat to allows for AN6 fittings then bored a hole and tapped them on each side of that crossover port The holes are positioned so the oil travels straight from the pump (port A) to the cooler then back to the case (port B) to feed the bearing and head.. I then plugged the crossover between the tapped holes to divert the oil to travel to the cooler then back to the case I like this way better than the sump fed coolers cause the oil is cooled directly before it gets to the cylinder rather than cooling sump oil. Because the system is now pressurized there won’t be any problem of the lines or cooler draining back into the sump creating any sort of dry starts while the system get filled. Any back flow will either fill/prime the oil pump or keep the galleys to the head full. And because the system is pressurized I can mount the cooler up high out of harms way and in some fresh air. The cooler is mounted up on the frame over my right shoulder . The pic shows the cooler but the picture was taken when I was checking mount tabs fitment. The cooler will be flipped with the hose connections on top so the cooler can’t drain back. The cooler will always stay full. It’s kinda hard to describe all this so I got pics! I painted in the oil path to show where the fittings are placed and what happens..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 192.jpg (92.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 190.jpg (90.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 189.jpg (92.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 140.jpg (89.9 KB, 23 views)