Thread: Oil Cooler
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
A little advise.:..a trans coolers internal passages are alot smaller than an oil coolers is. If you compair the 2 fluids you can see that the trans / ps fluid is about 5w20 at the most . Since most air cooled engines require 10w40 you can see that the oil will flow slower threw the trans cooler. In some cases when temp effects the oil, the cooler will have an metered restriction inside /outside the cooler . This may even by-pass the amount of oil going thru the cooler when cold . As the oil gets hotter it flows more freely thru the coolers core.
It is a known fact that any cooler ,( oil ,trans, AC, or PS,) is subject to internal damage when components fail. The metal particals remain inside the cooler, damaging new components..Flushing can help but even the lines to and from the cooler can be ruined, it is better to replace them too.
I'm glad you brought that up, seeing as there are so many designs out there today, from the conventional pipe through fins design, to the later style, which I like to call the fill/flood style, which has the inlet and outlet connected to the sides of the cooling passages, similar to a conventional radiator. I was looking at the power steering coolers due to the lack of restrictions and straight through design, and most are 4 to 6 passes through the fins, more than enough to make a difference, yet allow full pressure flow. This was a major concern, as for my ATC engine has but one place to tap into the oil circuit, and that is a passage between the pump and the crank bearings, not somewhere I want to risk starvation on start up due to the cooler having to fill first, not to mention, I am a little hesitant to put more strain on an already old pump.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'