View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Alot to be said about proper allignment

I had noticed that my buggy turned really wide; so while it was still very cold and I was involved in other things in the CVT and engine, I devoted only a small amount of time trying to correct the alignment. The wheels were toed out so I set them to toe in (by eye). After that the buggy had a wobble while in motion and turned very wide to the left and so tight to the right that it would bring the buggy up on two wheels. So yesterday I took my time and used a measuring stick to get it right. Knowing that the steering box must be off center (causing more turn to the right than left) I first measured the arms that extend from the box to insure it was at center position. Then I adjusted the wheels to where they "looked" close to center. To do this I looked from the back aligning my point of view until I was looking straight across the rear wheels then looked at the front wheels. I then continued to adjust until the front wheels "appeared" to be slightly toed in. I then took out the 8 foot measuring stick and compared the measurements from the front and back sides of the tires as close as I could get to where the tire meets the pavement. At this point I noticed that eyeballing the alignment is not a good idea as this 4inch section of my tires was 1-1/2" toed in. Not sure what that equates to in terms of angle but it seemed a bit much to me. So I continued to adjust until there was about 3/4" difference between the front and rear of the tires. So the distance now between the front of the two front tires is 55-1/4" and the rear is 56". A test drive after this revealed a nice tight turn radius in both direction as well as much sensitivity to small turns of the steering wheel. The wobble is gone and the buggy feels more attached to the ground. An even nicer suprise was that my acceleration increased as well as top speed as a result of the tires no longer creating drag. The whole buggy now has a much more solid feel to it. I know that many on here have rebuilt and even built up your front ends and Im certain that you all have already put time into alignment. But for the average Joe who just bought and started riding or who even assembled their buggies and just made it "look" good. Taking the time to get that front end properly aligned will be time you wont regret spending.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.