Thread: BBK and BB case
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

Very good advise. Production parts have looser tollerances then custom parts. When a speed shop runs their rebuild on the dyno they run it wide open right from the getgo. This is due to the precise boring, journal cutting, ballancing and just general fitting of the parts which are all ckecked and done to very strict tollerances. Most production made products will not have as strict tollerances for cost reasons. This is one reason a true Taiwonese part is more expensive since the tollerances are much stricter then a Chinese produced part in most all cases. The Taiwonese part will not need as much breakin time but I still recomend it. If one looks at the new automobile engines as compared to engines of the past their cost will be 3-4 times the cost as compared to say a stock 350 eng. This is due to the extra time spent in man hours making certain all specs are held to very tight and consistant tollorances, so now new cars do not need to be broken in. One lesson I have learned is you should never rush a rebuild. Everything must be checked, rechecked and checked again to be absoultly certain everything goes together right for this will save you from 80% of the breakdowns and headaches as compared to one that has been put together quickly. It takes only one little messup to ruin a rebuild, so the extra time spent on the rebuild saves you money in the long term on parts and makes the engine all the more reliable. I have heard many on the forums state that building the GY6 will ruin the reliability. If good parts are used along with good skills and mostly patients you will have a reliable engine.