View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Heavy Contributor

mayhap so mr Zman. You say it looked like the oil had never been changed. So good possibility the oil was just burned up. This is what I would do , and whether or not you do this you need to weigh carefully. There is most likely burned , caked , crusty oil deposits around most any friction point in the engine. When you do your break in on the new parts do it with a thinner oil, say 5w-30. Do an easy on the engine ( 1/4 to 1/2 pedal ) break in period for 2 tanks of gas and then drain 1/2 of the oil and top off the oil you just drained with Kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid. Start the engine and let it idle (DO NOT REV THE ENGINE) for 5 minutes. Drain all of the oil and refill with the oil of your choice. This can be done to old dirty engines to break loose old oil and carbon deposits. I have done this to many old engines with no ill effects. Again this is something you have to weigh out as to whether you are comfortable with it or not. Given that the bottom of the engine took as much abuse the top did it may be a good idea to run a synthetic oil. I'm quite certain that others will chime in on this one.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.