View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Contributor

[Measure the distance between the front tires in front (center to center) and in the back of the front tires (center to center) Most recommendations I've seen calls for a 1/8" to 1/4" toe in. Meaning your front measurement (center of tire to center of tire) should be 1/8" to 1/4" smaller than the measurement in the back of the tire.

Toe in means the tires are pointing slightly in to each other, while toe out means the tires are pointing outward from one another. (toe out would have a larger measurement in the front as opposed to the rear)

Some guys I have read actually prefer a slight toe out of the front tires, so I would suggest you try what setting works best for you.

Good general description for this process. I would like to make one statement. The toe in or out on a dirt buggy is not really a factor on total performace. In fact either one can hurt performace. Why ? because toe in or toe out creates drag on the tread blocks. So what is better? ZERO toe ,that places the tires in the best position for the least drag. It also creates a better self centering of the steering wheel and less abnormal treadware. If you really think about it how can tires pointed inward or outward give best results.( I know some will say that it makes their set- up feel better , that is partly because Zero is less forgiving of driver input errors) However if you go back and measure every angle invloved you will mosty likely find you were compensating for a bad angle already present, bent rim ,out of round tire or even a bad wheel bearing . My findings are based on more than 15 years of past dirt track kart and roadracing kart National and State Champions.