Thread: Bad hole
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM

It won't for long though. You are leaking compression out of that hole every time the piston comes up.

If the hole is stripped out, you have 3 options, replace the head, costly and mostly unnecessary. Remove the head and tap it out to a bigger size, which will require a larger plug, or remove the head and use a heli-coil kit to return it back to its original thread size and pitch.

If it were me, since I have the taps and dies already, I would go a size larger on the hole. For you, it would probably be easier to buy the heli-coil kit, which normally has a couple of stainless inserts, the corresponding tap, and will give you specific instruction and what size drill bit to use. If you use the kit, be sure to put some red thread locker on the insert when you thread it into the hole, last thing you want is the insert backing out when you take the plug out.

Both of the latter can be done with the head installed, but it is not recommended due to shavings and debris entering the combustion chamber.

Here is a thread from here, some opinions back and forth, but I have seen heli-coils purposely run on high compression race engines with aluminum heads without issue. Those guys put them in right out of the box to avoid stripping aluminum holes with all the plug changes and constant rebuilds.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'