View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Lite Contributor

Question Very Poor Compression... Potential Motor Replacement?

I tested the compression on my buggy and the needle would barely moved, approximately up to 30ish, I used this kit http://www.harborfreight.com/compres...-pc-69885.html Now I don't know exactly what that means, but I know its not good. First of all I should note that I lack most of the tools to properly remove an engine and do much work inside of it. I have done work to the air intake, carburetor, lights and cdi. But thats about the extent of my abilities. I'm afraid I personally will not be able to fix whatever the problem is, but I would like to hear from you all what it could be if you think I can fix it. I don't think there are any shops near me that will do extensive work to this motor but I will be looking.

Now assuming that all is a dead end, i'm not apposed to replacing the motor. Frankly since I bought the buggy I've always kinda wanted to but since it was working obviously I didn't need to. And every time I had a problem I've been able to fix it myself up to this point. But I've have concerns with this route also. Money is not the biggest one fortunately. I just want to be sure I get the exact right engine, and am capable of doing the install by myself, as I've never done one before I am curious if there are unforeseen complications that I as an amateur would not know. I will upload some pictures of my buggy ASAP. I don't know the make and model, I bought it used. What I can tell you is that its a 150cc gy6 clone. Its currently suspended from the frame via 2 top mounted bolts which I believe is pretty much the standard, I think I have a "short" case. and I once tried to remove the CVT cover to get the number off the band and I cant get it off because of the way the from is built (I know it sounds crazy) But just fyi.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks!