View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Lurker

Default I need advice on ASW Carbide 150 strange stuff

I purchased an ASW Carbide 150. It now has 450 km on it. Right from new the Kart would stall out going down hill. Revs would drop after it warmed up. Going on the flat or uphill was not a problem for the carb. At about 100 km the Kart seemed to have trouble getting power at any RPM or road speed, like it was running lean or hot. I pulled the sparkplug and found that it was oil fouled. I began looking around the Kart and found an unusual amount of oil around the cooling shroud. I am now disassembling the motor (out of the Kart). I discovered that the right hand crankshaft oil seal had been torn during factory assembly and the oil passing the seal was being spun by the magneto, picked up by the fan and had coated the cylinder head. As dust imedded in this oil film the Kart seemed to run progressively hotter.

I pulled the head and piston and found a heavy oil buildup on the combustion chamber in the head and on the piston crown, and strange marking of the face of the piston rings (as if the rings had flat spots around the circumference and the rings had not fully seated to the bore.). Also the oil scraper rings, although they are loose in the piston groove don't extend much past the skirt of the piston. The compression rings are bigger in circumference (out of the bore) than the oil rings. The bore is fine, as you would expect for 450 km. You can still see the original scuffing marks for seating the rings.

Here are my questions.
1. Can running hot explain the oil fouling. The piston does not show any signs of damage from overheating.

2. Can anyone tell me where I can buy gasket, seals, and rings. I have been unable to find a replacement crankshaft oil seal. Several of the parts supply outfits on the web (such as Kazuma) who stock the seal do not ship into Canada. The seal which is Triton 19.8 x 30 x 5 is not a stocking seal at conventional seal and bearing suppliers in Canada. The dealer's service supplier has had me waiting for weeks, as he has not been able to procure seals, and I can't figure if he is not trying hard enough, or is he is being stonewalled by ASW. The order desk at GoKartsUSA told me that the ASW Carbide 150 is not a GY6 engine, and I can't find an engine manufacturers name any place on the engine.

3. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it. The main jet is stamped 114, but when I passed a 114 gauge through the jet it pushed out brass shavings. Is 114 adequate for this carb. I tried ordering larger jets for the KeiHin carb which is made in Japan, but the jets I got had a different thread and so would not go into this carb.