View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Of all the mods to make a GY6 150 faster I haven't ever seen this mentioned as a cheap increase in top speed. How come? I verified the difference with a GPS: 16 tooth = 40.1 mph
13 tooth = 36.2 mph
it's been mentioned before. the problem is, it is not cheap. every motor manufacturer [gy6] uses a different design, mounting style and sometimes rear trans shaft for their gearing. nothing is universal. the only way to change counter shaft gears is to swap a motor or have a custom gear fabricated for a particular motor.
I agree with you though. I have wished many times I could think of a way to make a splined hub one could bolt different tooth count gears too. The ability to simply swap counter gears for different conditions would be ideal. There are several different ratios for the internal trans gear sets that can be found for the 157QMJ and axle sprockets can be made simple enough. Both would give the same results but neither swap is fast or easy.
The concept of having several different counter gears along with split gears for the axle would open up a whole new world in tuning.