View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Lite Contributor

I've never been to the Hatfield–McCoy Trails in WV and would love to check it out, but today as I grabbed a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper this interesting article was on the front page: http://tribune-democrat.com/local/x1...dvocates/print It points out that unike the Hatfields and McCoys, these trails are a perfect union between local/state goverment, land owners, local commerce, and the riders. The article briefly shows some economical and populous statistics about the trails, then it details how my local Lawmakers (West/Central PA)are trying come up with a similar ATV trail Utopia modeled after the Hatfield–McCoy Trails, and the obstacles in doing so. It's a pretty good read, especially for PA residents!

Interesting Sidenote I: Senator Wozniak mentioned in the article also introduced the legislation that repealed PA's long standing motorcycle helmet law.

Interesting Sidenote II: The PA DCNR in the last decade or more has taken part in the Rails to Trails Conservancy, there are currently 281 hiking/pedal biking trails totaling 6,763 miles in the State. The PA DCNR lauded it's financial responsibility by showing that a large portion of the trail conversion was being paid for by atv/snowmobile registration fees, then promptly made it illegal for atvs and snowmobiles to use them. That's how stuff works in PA sometimes.

Interesting Sidenote III: So, if you're a PA mini-buggy owner taking all this in and wondering do I have to register my buggy, or as mentioned in the article, is it an illegal ATV? By the definitions placed in Title 17 Pa. Code Chapter 51, more specifically Chapter 77 of the PA Vehicle Code Section 7702, the answer is NO, and your best line of defense is your Title/MSO - Certificate For Origin Of Vehicle, listed under body type- Go Kart. Kind of a loophole considering most mini-buggies fit the general ATV Class 1 description.

So I was wondering for you guys in other States, is there any thing comparable to the Hatfield–McCoy Trails where you are, and what are your local State laws on registration if any?

How are your Hatfield–McCoy videos coming along BuggyMaster?

Last edited by JakeTheSnake; 08-08-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Bold print and spacing.