View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys2 View Post
I think that if I were to us a RM80 motor, I would try it on the stock swingarm first. Even though the 80 is going to have a lot more power then the GY6, is it going to have the type of power that you are looking for in a buggy? My other concern would be the clutch. You are going to be asking the little 80 to pull 3 to 4 times the weight then it was designed for. I'd hate to see you put a lot of work into new suspension only to find out that the clutch might not be able stand the abuse. Also, is it a newer water cooled motor or an older air cooled? You may need to duct in some cooling air for the older motor, or run a fan on the radiator for the newer style.
It is a newer('95) engine with the small radiator. Looking at the specs, the RM80 puts out around 27hp, which I think is more than enough, my only concern is the torque output(a mere 8 ft-lbs @10k RPM). I was thinking that the low torque would help save/prolong the axle. As far as the shifter goes, I have a few ideas brewing in my head of what to do, one of which being an air shifter, but likely a cable/linkage push/pull setup. Still not sure what to do for the clutch, hand operated seems the easiest, but if I do all this, I might convert it to a single seater and implement a clutch pedal instead. Iiirc, the RM80 is a race bike, and that means a couple things, first off, it does not have a lighting/charging stator, so no 12v power source unless I add one and charge it after every ride, inconvenient, but not impossible. Second, it means this engine has a 6 speed trans and beefier clutch, meaning I can run a much lower gear ratio to keep it in it's power band. In a perfect world, I would be looking for a 4 stroke quad engine instead, but this is what I have in my possession already.