Thread: Help please.
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Heavy Contributor

I agree a cvt isn't like a manual transmission, I was just using your analogy as you compared the two. My thinking is more like a pinion gear and a spur gear.

If the primary is the pinion and the secondary is the spur the final drive is the same once the they have both gone through their full range of motion. If the final top rpm is reached[7500] and both the primary and the secondary are at full range, how can the mph be any different?

Again, I'm assuming top rpm is reached and both pulleys are at their full range. Mathematically I can't see how it would lower the top speed. If the rollers were so light that the pulleys didn't reach full range, or if the diameter of the rollers were different so the pulleys never reach full range, then yes I can see that lowering the top speed.

Within the proper weight range, and roller diameter, the only thing I see lighter rollers doing, is putting the engine at a higher rpm for acceleration. It will use up a little more gas too, but well worth it if you ask me..lol

Last edited by liduno; 05-23-2019 at 11:54 AM.