View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
OK here I go again. On the older Buggies with AC volt cdi, a performance cdi will help the performance. The newer DC volt systems will bennefit little to none. The reason is: the cdi has several functions one of which is timing advance. Its important to realise that most of all perf cdi's are designed around a much lighter scooter driving one wheel, so when the advance comes in will be totally different between a buggy and scooter. Now another function of the cdi is the spark duration. In an AC system spark duration is short by nature so added circuitry is used to boost spark duration. In a dc system the spark duration is naturally longer. There are many different perf cdi's out there. It would help greatly if specs were listed on them like where timing advance takes place as well as spark duration. I have tried several of the adjustable timing cdi's but have not yet found one that will hold that timing for the long haul, and being that the means used is from a dashpot adjuster these tend to not adjust over time due to the shoch they take. The early msd cdi's for racing atv's had the same problems. The dashpot adjustment is not for offroad punishment and the reason why msd now uses semiconductor technology using the laptop to adjust timing, which drives the cost way up. Bottom line is the older AC systems will bennifit from the perf cdi for these were scooter engines and components put into our buggies. The DC systems first off due to epa regulations have to be designed for our buggies so using a cdi from a scooter will actually hurt performance in some part of the powerband.
That's an Xlint explanation. Thanks Tom

Now it makes more sense why I noticed a gain and some guys don't. AC/DC
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........