View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I also have to say I never seen that happen before. I have been running sliders for over 2 years now and they look almost brand new, but they are the DR. Pulley brand. The only thing that would do that is excessive heat. Believe it or not the cvt under that cover can reach temps of 230 deg. and much more if your air inlet to the cvt is plugged. My guess is that it got plugged with snow or the filter just stoped up not allowing any air to pass thru the cvt and clutch. Look to see if the pulleys on the variator are blue as I would bet on them being. Check the air intake on the cvt cover and make sure air can pass thru it. I usually replace the filter with a piece of scotchbright pad folded over the cvt cover than clamped, easier to see and clean. Also check your belt that it is not stretched for I also bet on it being stretched. Also make sure your engine is not running lean for this will cause it to overheat and if crankcase temp is extreme the heat will transfer down the shaft right to the variator. I had a 250 cc which run very lean from the factory that would turn the exhaust cherry red on a summer day after hard riding and it melted flat spots on the rollers. Most roller failures are due to too much heat under the cover. Rollers roll less than 50 percent of there surface so the flat spots from wear will be small. When you get the large flat spots it is 99% due to dirty ramps or heat. The blades you see on the outer variator half are for moving air to cool the cvt. If any of them are damaged they will not move the air efficiently,or as stated earlier if the inlet or outlet are plugged air will nor circulate causing I seen as much as 350 deg when checking the cvt cover with a laser thermometer. Rember not all variators are the same, the stock one's will not take a whole lot of abuse. And yes the cvt is the major component of the transmission, the final drive is just what it says and is more so considered the rear end along with the sprockets. TOM
Thank You! Finally, someone who has given me a real answer. But, I'll have to check the variator and check back here tomorrow.

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!