View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Lurker

OLDKID ~ This buggy is 18 months old as mentioned with 37 hours on it. The oil was changed at 5 hours use (per manual) and every 10 hours since. So at 5hr, 15hr, 25hr, 35hr, and now 37hr because it sat in a garage for winter (6ish months) and I just wanted to change it.

When it was brand new shipped to me, it did already have coolant and oil in it. I replaced just the oil as the coolant was just fine 50/50. Aside that, after finishing assembly (engine/tranny/lower frame/axels were all pre-assembled), the engine had electrical issues. Kept shorting out if you moved the wires at all. Ended up being the magneto wire was in the way of the flywheel and cut into it. They sent out a new magneto and wire harness and we fixed that. Ran like a top ever since, but it took a LOT of diagnosing to find that.

The point of that being when the engine was new and misbehaving, we considered any part of it to be the culprit. The first thing done was adjusting the idle higher incase it was just stalling. To my knowledge we never turned it back down, even though it really sounds like it's close to the stall line on the slow idle it has. I just hope it didn't rip up much metal in the gearbox . I'll find out when my engine guy can make another house call and change out the gearbox oil sometime this week, but I need to figure out what oil even goes in this thing..

I need to locate the fill. But you're right, most videos I've seen of ATVs changing gearbox oil had the bolts very close to each other and the fill bolt was extra large with a rubber washer. I really hope it's not on the clutch side but at this point, I bet it is..

I REALLY don't want to tip this sucker on it's side to drain it haha. It's like 800lb...

Thanks for the heads up on SYCARM

GX150 ~ I thought 10W40 was fine as well, especially for winters sake so the viscosity won't be so crazy I need to heat it with a heat lamp to get the oil loose to start..

Being new to this, saying it needs one of 2 different oils and then the reverse might be greased IS confusing me haha. I'm hoping someone pops up who has the 300 XRX. It's been out a long time. I guess it's not quite that popular.

Thanks for the 10W40 tip!

Last edited by omii; 05-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.