View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Contributor

Default Can I re-use this Piston?

Taking a little break from the PoJo project to build up some build funds. I am going to fix up the Yerf and throw it up for sale. I figure that now is a good time because people may be looking for Christmas presents. Just my way of thinking, but when I sell something, I don't want to sell them junk. When I first got my HH, it smoked like a banshee, so I knew that it would need a new piston at least. So I picked up a piston and gasket set to do the top end, but then the bug bit and I ended up going a little further (see sig). So I had the parts to freshen up the stock top end and figured on throwing it on the Yerf.

I was a little shocked to se the damage when I pulled the head and cylinder. When I pulled the valves out of the head, I discovered that it was just a paper weight. The valves and seat were shot. So I pulled out the old HH head and pulled it apart. It looked pretty good, so I lapped the valves, put new seals on and it was ready to go. Next I pulled the cylinder and found this (see pic below). It reminds me of a 2 stroke that someone ran way to lean. Also to get the wrist pin out I has to heat up the piston and use a small air hammer to drive out the pin. Of course the cylinder was shot as well, so I grabbed the old HH cylinder, honed it and ring gap and piston clearance are still in spec. Luckily the rod and rod bearings still feel good, so who ever gets it should have a nice little buggy when I am done. You just never know what kind of abuse our toys have subjected to by the POs. That's why I always do a minimum of a top end rebuild, when ever I buy something. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piston.jpg (94.5 KB, 25 views)

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.