View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Contributor

I like the idea of Bamboo. It should have a more springy quality to it then what I had planned .

Made a little more progress today. I got the Joyner stub axles tacked up to the VW CV cups, will do a full weld tomorrow. Of course, nothing is ever as easy as you plan it to be. Even though I had a jig and tacked them up on the lathe, there was a lot of fudging and hammer tapping to get them lined up true. For those of you that haven't done much welding, the weld itself will almost always distort the shape of the item being welded. So you always make light welds (tacks) until everything is square and true. As you can see in the picture, I had set up some shields to protect the lathe. After every tack, I removed the shields and set up a dial indicator, then tapped on the cup to true it up again for the next tack. In all each cup has six tacks on it. the first couple were fairly light, but got progressively more aggressive once I felt that I had a good true. I 'm not going to show you the tacked up assemblies, because they definitely look FUGLY, but once I get them finished up, then I'll share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stub CV.jpg (85.6 KB, 23 views)

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.