View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Contributor

Got a little done on the Pojo today (sorry no Pics.) First thing I did was to cut off the tail light holders and some other miscellaneous tabs. I got tired of hitting my head and other body parts, so out came the cutoff wheel and flap disc. I had already gutted the motor, so I put the cases back together, along with the head and mounted it in the cradle. I also now have all of the parts I need to rebuild the engine.

My goal for the day was to get the motor and trans mounted, yeah right. I had collected as many pictures that I could find on how people mount the Polaris setup, but of course I couldn't find one that matched my chassis. So I spent the morning with a bunch of wood blocks and rope trying to get the cradle in the right position. Eventually I had to just walk away from it because frustration was setting in. So I jumped on my old Murray and mowed an acre of pasture.

Being away from the project helped to clear up my mind, and I came up with a solution for the front of the cradle. I would weld in a partial floor in the front of the engine cage that would be load bearing. Then I can weld some tabs on it that the front of the cradle will attach to. So I grabbed some thick flat stock and started to cut out the pieces.

However, after making the first 5" cut Murphy reared his head and I ran out of oxygen. So it was back to the angle grinder with cutoff discs. Once the pieces were cut I tacked them in with the wire welder. Since these pieces are going to be load bearing and Some of them could only be welded on one side, I dragged out the stick welded. Man do we get spoiled with the wire welders. It has been quite awhile since I have used mine, so the welds aren't the prettiest, but I know I got good penetration. So hopefully tomorrow I can finish up the front mounts, then I will add some pictures. I didn't think that looking at a few plates welded together would harbor much excitement.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.