View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I dont get it guy's! if you want a "dirt racing kart" why not just get one? instead of investing so much time and money in a project, like this that could backfire on you! and leave you with a busted buggy. IMO these machines where made for wood's and trails, not "flat tracking". I live in an area with lots of dirt kart tracks and those machines are posted for sale all over CL & ebay and the prices are comparable to our buggys! not ripping on ya, just wondering why???
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
I had considered something like this several times for the same reasons as yours. My approach was to use cogged gears in place of the variator and clutch pulley and incorporate a toothed belt, basically a belt drive system. I figured this way would allow the use of a OEM style clutch, keep strain off the crank bearings and retain the transmission for gear ratio options. It's one of those rainy day ideas that never materialized but I think it could work if the motor afforded enough torque.
It would mean the motor would be suited for one purpose only, Flat tracking! and that's not a bad thing!
We run on a 1/10 mile banked short track that is great for the 150's. This track would be compared to yours as Bristol is to Talladega.
I'm located in RTP area and if possible, would love to come see what you guys are doing.
BTW, cool looking track! Is it open to the public? I would like to run it sometime!
10 wins in 2013