Thread: Head porting...
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Contributor

Thanks Metal! It ain't something I'll ever get rich at, but a basic P&P job on someone's head is 40.00 labor + parts and shipping. That includes polishing the valve faces, and tulip grinding, with a swirl polish on the back face of the valves while reducing the stem diameter slightly. Also, if they send me an intake manifold, I'll port match it too.(same price) Actual time involved to do all this, is about 12 hours....so you can see, I'll NEVER get rich, it just gives me something to do, and the labor helps pay for the expendables I use. polishing burs, and pads, that sort of thing.

Or the Big Tamale, with new titanium valve springs, a new exhaust valve, new intake manifold (all supplied by me), and all the P&P, valve mods, and return shipping for $100.00. Turn around time is usually 2-3 days on my end, and I return ship USPS Priority flat rate. So, if you're in the lower 48, about 1 week to 10 days, depending on where you are.

I really recommend a new exhaust valve, as a bare minimum, as these things take on heck of a beating, and every "dropped" valve I've ever seen has been an exhaust valve. So why play with dynamite, the engine is down, we're gonna do some high performance work to the head, why not go the distance with a few bucks more, and try to prevent that catastrophic failure that can ruin an entire engine. That's the same reason I like to replace the valve springs. A broken spring at best can ruin your day out, but may not cost you an entire engine, but worst case scenario....it can lead to a dropped or bent valve, destroyed piston, and even a bent connecting rod.
If you're gonna do it, budget for the Big Tamale, and do it right. Let your engine breathe, and give it a chance to live at some high RPMs too.

PS....this is a BuggyMaster exclusive too. I don't make this offer on any other sites, nor do I discuss it on any other sites. This is for BM people.

Last edited by kliff; 06-29-2012 at 01:00 PM.