View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley5 View Post
Well, I got my new stator installed today. Got the kart fired up with just a bump of the key, and still have the same voltage problem. I have 7VDC coming out of the stator and rectifier where it should be 12VCD. The stator is new (twice with same result) and the rectifier is new.(Got two and only one charges the system, both are new.) The only other components tied to that system are the CDI and the keyswitch. Thinking of replacing them both and getting yet a third rectifier because of inconsistent results with the two new ones i already got. Any other suggestions?
You are not going to get a 12v reading with the engine running, there will be a load on the components, and they are AC not DC. (if I'm not mistaken)

Do you have a switch for the lights? if not then that will be a load on the AC wires. What size lights do you have? 25w,35w, or 55w? the higher the wattage the lower your reading will be on the AC wires powering the lighting system.

The only 12V reading you probably will get is from the starter solenoid, and 1 of the leads from the rectifier/regulator

I think there is only 1 12vdc component on the buggy and that's the starter You can check power for it at the solenoid.

the rest run off of AC power... CDI (ran directly off of the stator),Lights (powered through the regulator).

T.J.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.