View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Power User

some more final detail work.
Rear suspension action has been trial and error settings and spring changes with the previous shock mounts, so I relocated the upper mount using the old a-arm lower mounts. The lower mount is on the other side of the angle iron just above the red spring. The new mounts dropped the center 2/3rds of the floor down about 1.5 inches. I set it so there was still a slight angle to the swingarm unloaded. When thinking about doing this i also realized the swingarm angle was also part of my stalling issue. When i stopped riding for an inspection the other day, shaking the rear of the buggy at idle made it sputter. pressing down on the suspension smoothed it out, so the float level was maxed in relation to the swingarm angle. A quick test ride revealed that the carb cleaning along with the height/angle change has finally resolved that issue.

The rear shocks i'm still futzing with, with 120 lb/in. (approx) springs, it sags a little more than i like. They soak up the hits, but i'm afraid bigger hits will max out my travel, which ash been reduced. The "bump stop" for the rear is the upper swingarm frame tubes hitting the ends of the lower center vertical tubes of the rack. I may put rubber caps on those. With the kawasaki's springs that are around 150/175 lb/in. they're too stiff for the rebound damping to deal with. I'm thinking of sticking with the softer springs and maybe upping the air pressure and changing the shim stack. I got these "rebuilt" off e-bay, but i'm not to sure how well they were done.

Rigged up the CVT "cooling" feed. Surprisingly, this has some decent suction on it when it's going. a piece of prefilter is under some window screen. My cvt side cover is all one piece with a volute/scroll integral to it, i'm a bit hesitant to bore a big hole in it next to the clutch. I think It gets more heat from the exhaust than it should though, may move the pipe up above and on an upward angle.

Think it's time to pull the swingarm and paint her up ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock remount.jpg (29.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg intake.jpg (91.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg intake1.jpg (58.4 KB, 24 views)