View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Really sweet job. Love those rear fenders. Is it possible to explain and or show close up of the electronic box rear cover ? Looks larger than stock and more user friendly than the cramped version.
Thanks.
The fenders are my spares for the rockhound, really didn't want to use them up, but this frame was begging for them. They're the top cover of PING golf club sales display racks where the club grip goes in at the base. I closed my golf pro shop a few years ago and stripped the racks for any metal on them--turns out they make great fenders, you just have to plug the holes with something. In this case a strip of steel painted blue with nuts welded to it. If the holes start getting too much dirt, the strips can be unbolted and cleaned or repainted.

Pro shops get these for free, if you like them, start checking in at golf courses, Dicks sporting goods etc., chances are they have plenty gathering dust in the back that they'd part with.

Buggy electrical systems and my treatment of them are kind of a long standing joke with me. I usually just zip tyies all the bits to the closest tube and call it done LOL ...

For this one i had to actually make something a little better.

Box is just a piece of 3/16ths aluminum that had been the back wall of some industrial type machine. I picked up 4 identical pieces at the scrap yard, roughly 2'x2' a few years back for about $3.00 each. Pretty much used some up at work and some on the buggies, this was my last sizable chunk. They had a lot of holes and slots for cooling.

Took a section of one, bent it in a shallow "U" then bolted 2 90* "L"s to the other sides. On the top frame of the buggy i welded a tab for either end of the box to bolt to with a little gap so it doesn't rattle on the frame. Inside, a chunk of the original (original to an old Carter Talon i believe) CDI and starter coil mount bracket is bolted to the floor of the box. The regulator gets bolted to the back outside of the box for cooling. the cover is just sheet metal bent in a "U" with 4 holes and U-nuts on the aluminum box sides. It's not weatherproof, there's about 3/4" gap under the cover for the wire looms to pass through front and rear. I had over 2 foot of extra wiring length that I cut out of the harness, even after that I think it's going to be a bit tight, but definitely better than the stockers. I'll get some pics later tonight ...

Last edited by x-bird; 02-21-2015 at 03:48 PM.