View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Lite Contributor

I saw there was a version with EFI for the 150 GY6. I live in SE Georgia with pretty consistent weather and no elevation changes so I wasn’t sure the juice was worth the squeeze in that one. I don’t know... maybe I’ve been lucky but with a rejet and that idle mix screw. It just has run like a top for me since time out of mind. Not sure if the EFI GY6 has any substantial performance advantages... but I’d assume them to be minimal for my usage and fuel economy isn’t a concern. It takes me a month+ to burn through a whole tank for frequent but short trips I tend to make.

I figured a stock 300cc engine would move around such a heavy buggy even with a pile of mods. I spent a lot of time reading/watching videos early on when I was trying to get the most out of my GY6 for what I was using for. I’ve been looking for some similar info to get a feel for the 300cc engine TM uses and have come up short... other than the aforementioned sales videos. I looked at some parts listing and they seemed to be generally 2x+ what comparable GY6 parts run (not counting eBay junk... OEM/OEM equivalent stuff sold on buggy sites). Of course... if they don’t need much it’s a non-issue. If they need a lot of TLC to keep going, I’d prefer not be nickel and dimed.

To kind of round it out... I also don’t know how widespread this engine is... and how good parts availability will be in the future since I can’t find out much about it. I’d plan in keeping this thing going 10+ years while the kids are in the house and I don’t know if this 300cc engine TM is using currently is a one-off that hasn’t been around a while and isn’t here to stay.

Anyways... I appreciate the reply. I’ll read through old posts to see if there’s any theme of weak spots in the motor and keep seeing if I can find some sort of informative write up about that motor. I figure in all the internet’s infinite 1s and 0s there’d be something. I saw some stuff pointing to them being a Yamaha Linhai clone so I’m trying to educate myself.
A13 Cam, 12g sliders