View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Lurker

Default Oil Fouling in new engine

Tom, thanks for your quick reply. Your suggestion of dirt injestion seems to be the most likely reason for my problem. The strange scuffing on the face of the rings and microburrs on the edge of the rings looks like somebody took fine sandpaper to the rings. I am the lowest and slowest machine in the group that I ride with. We ride on very loose sand and drive flat out. I am always in somebody's dust cloud. The inside of the carb seems to have a very fine coating of abrasive dust, but the air cleaner box and filter seem quite clean. Is it possible that the dust that I am pulling into the engine is so fine that it passes right through the air filter?

Since I need rings anyhow, I put in an order with ASW for seals and gaskets and rings. The engine number that I could find was stamped on the top of the case near the starter. It is JL1P57F (I think JL stands for Jin Lang). Is this a GY6 engine, it sure looks like it.

The jets that I ordered came with a coarse metric thread, but the KeiHin carbs that I have, use jets with a fine metric thread so the jets could not be used.